- William Clarke (17??-?)
Mary Clarke was the daughter of William Clarke, a labourer of Botesdale, Suffolk, England.
In February 1835, she gave birth to her first child, outside of marriage - Caroline. Roughly two years later, she then gave birth to a son - Edward Jarman Clarke. Whilst there appears to be no indication of the father of these two children - or whether it was the same man, Caroline would often refer to her father as being an 'Alfred Woods'.
In November 1838, she married Botesdale labourer and widower, William Bailey, whose first wife Sarah had died (possibly during the birth of their fourth child).
Together, Mary and William had seven children, adding to both of their previous families.
However on the 12th March 1841, Mary appeared in court charged with neglect and assault of two of her step-daughters - Emma Bailey and Louisa Bailey. After conclusive evidence - including from neighbours, the children, and other local people, Mary was charged with neglect and assault and sentenced to serve six months hard labour in Ipswich County Gaol, with her first and last month being served in solitary confinement. William served two months for neglect - the second month in solitary confinement.
As a result of her conviction, she was not present when the enumerator visited the family in 1841. Instead, she was in prison with her six month old daughter Emily.
She appears in the Hartismere Union Workhouse, Eye, Suffolk, for the 1851 and 1881 censuses. Of which the former, she appears with the youngest of her children.
c.1812, Wattisfield, Suffolk, England.
- William Bailey (1806-?) on 8th November 1838 at Redgrave cum Botesdale parish church, Suffolk, England.
- Caroline Clark (1835-1917) married Thomas Howlett (1835-1858) and later to Robert Coe (1837-1924)
- Edward Jarman Clarke (1836-?) married Elizabeth Goldacre (1840-?)
- Ellis Bailey (1839-?)
- Emily Bailey (1840-?) married John Burrage (1833-?)
- Philip Bailey (1842-?)
- Amelia Bailey (1845-?) married James Warren (1834-?)
- Frances Bailey (1846-?) married George Hibbard (1853-?)
- Alfred Bailey (1849-?)
- Charles Bailey (1852-?)
- 1841: 29yrs, Ipswich County Gaol and House of Correction, Ipswich, Suffolk, England.
- 1851: 39yrs, Hartismere Union Workhouse, Eye, Suffolk, England.
- 1861: 46yrs, Botesdale Street, Botesdale, Suffolk, England.
- 1871: 60yrs, 20 Back Hills, Botesdale, Suffolk, England.
- 1881: 68yrs, Hartismere Union Workhouse, Eye, Suffolk, England.
- 1881: Housekeeper (Inmate) at Hartismere Union Workhouse, Eye, Suffolk, England.
After the 1881 census.