- Charles Newman 1820-1906
- Emma Levitt 1825-1893
- Robert Cooper 1807-1889
- Elizabeth Fison 1809-1886
Alfred Newman with his wife Clara Emma (née Gilbert) in 1962.
Alfred Sydney Newman
Alfred Newman was the fifth of thirteen children of Alfred Newman, a brewer's labourer and his wife Harriet (née Cooper) of Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
Alfred worked as a Basketmaker and enters this trade after receiving an apprenticeship grant from Bishop Laney's Charity in October 1899. The Cambridge Independent Press notes that he was granted the apprenticeship to learn basketmaking from Mr John Fear, basketmaker of Ely.
Alfred remains with John Fear Basket Manufacturer and Rod Merchant until 1917, when John Fear writes a letter reluctantly giving up his labour to serve in the First World War.
It appears that he resumed basketmaking production briefly in Kent, before joining the Northamptonshire Regiment and the Labour Corps.
He married Clara Gilbert of Littleport, Cambridgeshire, and the couple initially lived together at Clara's parents house. However, set up home back in Ely, and raised six children whilst living at 5, Waterside, Ely.
Sadly though, two of their sons predeceased them. Their oldest son, Wilfred, died of "an incurable illness" (a combination of Septicemia, Uretheral Fistula and TB of the Kidney) having been released from Addenbrooke's hospital months before.
Their youngest child, Owen Newman was killed in Singapore as a Prisoner of War aboard a Japanese Hospital Ship when it was destroyed by American forces.
A photo of Alfred holding his dog "Spot" outside his cottage appeared in a book in 1997 which was compiled by Cambridgeshire historians; Mike Petty and Pamela Blakeman which depicted Ely in a photographical history.
23rd April 1883 at Church Lane, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
- Clara Emma Gilbert (1884-1973) in 1909 at St. Mary's Church, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
- Phylis May Newman (1909-1987) married Sidney Albert Fitch (1908-1985).
- Elizabeth Iris Newman (1911-1970) married Horace Farrow (1913-1979)
- Wilfred Newman (1913-1929).
- Leslie Newman (1914-1985) married Olive Wilden.
- Edna Olga Newman (1916-1986) married Percy Martin (1914-1991).
- Owen Gilbert Newman (1920-1944).
- 1891: 7yrs, Bull Lane, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1901: 17yrs, Bull Lane, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1911: 28yrs, Burnt Chimney Drove, Littleport, Cambridgeshire, England.
- WWI: Private (#33575) with The Northamptonshire Regiment.
- WWI: Private (#83721) with The Labour Corps.
- 1899-1917: Basketmaker for John Fear Basket Manufacturer and Rod Merchant, Ely, Cambrigeshire, England.
10th April 1969, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
Cambridge Crematorium, Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, England.
- The Archive Photographs Series: Ely (ISBN: 0752410075, Chalford Publishing Company Ltd)
Alfred appears on page 55, standing outside his cottage with his dog 'Spot'. The photograph was offered to the book's two compilers (celebrated Ely historians), by one of Alfred's nieces.