Charles Newman was the oldest and illegitimate son of Rebecca Newman and Elias Dann of Haddenham, Cambridgeshire, England.
It appears accepted by Charles and church records, that his father was Elias Dann, a labourer from Wilburton. Elias' name appears on Charles' marriage certificate and is included in the register names as "father". Elias Dann never married Rebecca Newman, and instead she married John Seymore two years after Charles' birth.
Elias meanwhile went on to marry and have his own legitimate children.
When Charles was about 6 years old, his mother died. She was followed to the grave by Charles' half-sister Rebecca Seymore, who died at just 9 weeks old.
He appears on his first census in 1841 aged 22 years, living with a blacksmith named William Townsend of Longstanton, Huntingdonshire. It's perhaps therefore unsurprising that Charles is noted in church and census records as working as a Blacksmith from 1847-1891. Perhaps this is where he learnt his blacksmith skills?
Charles married Emma Levitt, and the couple lived in her native Swaffham Bulbeck, Cambridgeshire with their family.
In 1901, Charles appears in Newmarket living with his youngest son, Elias Newman and his wife and children after Emma's death.
At some point after this, he moves to The Ely Union Workhouse at Ely, presumably to receive elderly care, and dies there aged 84 years.
- 1820 in Somersham, Huntingdonshire, England.
- 16th April 1820 at Holy Trinity Church, Haddenham, Cambridgeshire, England.
- Emma Levitt (1825-1893) on 9th August 1847 at St. Mary's Church, Swaffham Bulbeck, Cambridgeshire, England.
- Alfred Newman (1849-1933) married Harriet Cooper (1854-1925)
- Charles Newman (1851-?)
- Rebecca Newman (1852-?)
- Daniel Silas Newman (1855-1926) married Rhoda Hart (1859-1894), and later to Elizabeth Wilson (1861-?)
- Harriet Newman (1858-?)
- Elias Newman (1863-1944) married Eliza Steed (1872-?)
Census and Residence
- 1841: 22yrs, Longstanton, Huntingdonshire, England.
- 1851: 30yrs, Swaffham Bulbeck, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1861: 40yrs, Village Street, Swaffham Bulbeck, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1871: 50yrs, Mill Lane, Swaffham Bulbeck, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1881: 59yrs, High Street, Swaffham Bulbeck, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1891: 68yrs, High Street, Swaffham Bulbeck, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1901: 81yrs, Stanley Road, Newmarket, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1847-1891: Blacksmith
- 8th June 1906 in The Ely Union Workhouse, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England, aged 84 years.
- June 1906, presumably at Swaffham Bulbeck, Cambridgeshire, England.