Robert Tingey was the oldest child of Thomas Tingey and his wife Mary Barber of Little Downham, Cambridgeshire, England.
Robert married Fanny Harrison from Little Downham in 1820, and they settled down to become parents 12 times. Sadly, two of the children died in their infancy just a few days apart, and son Robert died when he was 18 years old.
In 1851 the family appears on the Census at Cannon Street, Little Downham, Cambridgeshire. Also living at the house was Robert's widowed mother Mary, and Robert's 11 year old nephew John Burgess.
The family are 'missing' in 1861 though, and I've been unable to locate them in the area, or under similar surname spellings. Oddly, they return exactly where they previously were by the 1871 census.
Robert is noted as an Agricultural Labourer in both the 1841 and 1871 census, but by 1877, years after his death, he is noted as a Shepherd.
Robert pre-deceased Fanny by 9 years.
- circa 1798 in Witcham, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 25th November 1798 with his sister Elizabeth Tingey at St. Martin's Church, Witcham, Cambridgeshire, England.
- Fanny Harrison (1802-1881) on 23rd December 1820 at St. Leonard's Church, Little Downham, Cambridgeshire, England.
- Mary Tingey (1820-1883) married John Crisp (1820-1847), later to James Martin (1814-1868) and Matthew Watling (1813-1883)
- William Tingey (1823-1885) married Eliza Marshall (1825-1897)
- James Tingey (1825-1903) married Eliza Maltby (1826-1915)
- Robert Tingey (1829-1847)
- Sarah Tingey (1832-1863) married Thomas Saddon (1828-?)
- Ellen Tingey (1834-?)
- Isaac Tingey (1836-?)
- Francis Tingey (1837-?) married Rebecca Green (1828-?)
- Jonas Tingey (1839-1844)
- Hannah Tingey (1840-1844)
- Hannah Tingey (1846-?)
- Eliza Ann Tingey (1848-?)
Census and Residence
- 1841: 43yrs, 100 Foot Bank, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1851: 50yrs, Cannon Street, Little Downham, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1861: Not yet located.
- 1871: 73yrs, Lawn Lane, Little Downham, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1841, 1871: Agricultural Labourer
- 1877: Shepherd
- During January 1872 at Little Downham, Cambridgeshire, England, aged 74 years.
- 3rd February 1872, at Little Downham, Cambridgeshire, England.