- Sarah Dewey 1837-1896
- illegitimate line
John Freeman Dewey in his garden.
John Freeman Dewey
John Freeman Dewey was the oldest and illegitimate son of Sarah Dewey of Witchford, Cambridgeshire, England.
He married Elizabeth Boulter, a Seamstress of nearby Wentworth, who already had an illegitimate son named John Boulter, and who would go on to appear on censuses as "John C. Dewey" after their marriage. The couple went on to have nine children together but it is unclear as to whether Elizabeth's illegitimate son was actually his son.
In 1900, their second eldest daughter, Elizzie Dewey gave birth to her illegitimate son, Herbert Percival Dewey and he was brought up by his Grandparents - John and Elizabeth as if he was their own. Lizzie's younger brothers and sisters believed Herbert to be their brother until it was eventually revealed that he was their nephew.
In 1927, John and his wife Elizabeth were living at St Barnabas Road, Cambridge.
17th November 1856 at Witchford, Cambridgeshire, England.
13th June 1858 at St. Andrew's Church, Witchford, Cambridgeshire, England.
- Elizabeth Boulter (1854-1927) on 2nd December 1878 at St. Peter's Church, Wentworth, Cambridgeshire, England.
- Sarah Jane Dewey (1879-1956) married George William Anderson (1878-1965)
- Lizzie Dewey (1880-1949) married Allan Pumfrett Taylor (1885-1945)
- Arthur Robert Dewey (1882-?)
- Walter Dewey (1883-1915) married Annie Kirby (1884-?)
- Albina Dewey (1884-1957)
- Francis Henry Dewey (1886-?) married Mabel Money
- William George Dewey (1887-?)
- Edith Dewey (1889-1890)
- Ernest Edward Thomas Dewey (1896-1991) married Susan Jane Moden (1896-1981)
- 1861: 4yrs, Main Street, Witchford, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1871: 14yrs, Witchford, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1881: 23yrs, Witchford, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1891: 34yrs, Main Street, Witchford, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1901: 45yrs, Main Street, Witchford, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1911: 54yrs, Witchford, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1871-1901: Agricultural Labourer
- 1911: Foreman at Littleport.
20th December 1943 at Addenbrooke's Hospital, Cambridge, England, aged 87 years.
20th December 1943, with his wife in St. Andrew's Churchyard, Witchford, Cambridgeshire, England.