Robert Martin was most likely the third of the six children of Robert Martin and his wife Elizabeth Mendham of Little Downham, Cambridgeshire, England.
Robert married Avis Tall of Little Downham, but unusually they married away from their native villages - instead choosing a remote church miles away in West Norfolk. It is unclear why this church was chosen (was Robert working near here, or were they avoiding parental objections?).
Either way, together they went on to have six children until Robert died prematurely in 1826, at just 41 years old.
Avis, now left with four surviving children, faced another loss when their oldest son William died aged 13 years just four months later.
The following year, she re-married to James Wisbey, and the couple had another son.
- circa 1785 at Coveney, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 6th March 1785 at St. Peter-ad-Vincula Church, Coveney, Cambridgeshire, England.
- Avis Tall (1788-1858) on 3rd February 1812 at Wiggenhall St Mary Magdelene Church, Wiggenhall St Mary, Norfolk, England.
- William Martin (1813-1826)
- James Martin (1814-1868) married Mary Ann Moxon (1821-18??), and later to Mary Tingey (1820-1883).
- Sarah Martin (1818-1837) married James Johnson (1814-1837).
- Elizabeth Martin (1822-1822)
- Robert Martin (1822-182?)
- Robert Martin (1824-?) married Ann Ablett (1823-?)
- March 1826 at Little Downham, Cambridgeshire, England, aged 41 years.
- 12th March 1826 at St. Leonard's Churchyard, Little Downham, Cambridgeshire, England.