Elizabeth Poll was the oldest of the eleven children of silk weaver Ishmael Poll and his wife Mary Fiddamont of Wymondham, Norfolk, England.
In 1820, Elizabeth married weaver Michael Goodings of Wymondham, and soon afterwards she gave birth to their daughter named Elizabeth. Unfortunately, Michael died in August 1821 whilst Elizabeth was pregnant with their second child. The child turned out to be a boy, which she named Michael.
Now as widow Elizabeth Goodings with you young children, she re-married in 1824 to John Howlett, a silk weaver. They became parents just three months later, eventually adding six more children to their new family.
In 1841 and 1851, the couple are living in Burnt Fen, Lakenheath - very close to Mildenhall, and the Cambridgeshire border. By 1861, Elizabeth appears as a Pauper widow living in the village Hilgay on the Cambridgeshire/Norfolk border. She is living with two borders - Robert Murfitt (a 17yr old Groom) and Thomas Johnson (a 21yr old Agricultural Labourer).
Elizabeth was pre-deceased by her second husband by ten years.
- 12th April 1796 in Wymondham, Norfolk, England.
- 22nd April 1796 at Wymondham Abbey, Wymondham, Norfolk, England.
- Michael Goodings (1794-1821) on 11th January 1820 at Wymondham Abbey, Wymondham, Norfolk, England.
- John Howlett (1785-1861) on 17th May 1824 at Wymondham Abbey, Wymondham, Norfolk, England.
- Elizabeth Goodings (1820-?)
- Michael Goodings (1822-?)
- James Howlett (1824-?) married Emma Clarke (1826-18??), and later to Elizabeth Bonnett (1833-?)
- Hannah Howlett (1827-1909) married James Woods (1821-18??), and later to Matthew Spriggs (18??-?)
- Robert Howlett (1828-?) married Louisa Bonnett (1829-?)
- Ellen Howlett (1830-1909) married John Stimpson (1821-1897)
- Honour Howlett (1832-?) married Dennis Ashman (1828-?)
- Thomas Howlett (1835-1858) married Caroline Clarke (1835-1917)
- Elizabeth Howlett (1838-1918) married George Gipp (1833-1887)
Census and Residence
- 1841: 40yrs, Burnt Fen, Lakenheath, Suffolk, England.
- 1851: 56yrs, Burnt Fen, Mildenhall, Suffolk, England.
- 1861: 64yrs, Brand Bank, Hilgay, Norfolk, England.
- 1861: Pauper
- During January 1871 in Poplar Farm, Littleport Road, Mildenhall, Suffolk, England, aged 76 years.
- 28th January 1871 at Mildenhall, Suffolk, England.