- John Bishop 1795-1868
- Elizabeth Simpson 1793-1826
Simpson Bishop was the oldest of eight children of John Bishop, the first of three with his first wife Elizabeth (née Simpson) of Soham, Cambridgeshire, England.
When Simpson was about 8 years old, his mother died, seemingly during or as a result of giving birth to his sister Elizabeth. His father quickly re-married (a total of 3 further times).
Simpson married Elizabeth Taylor of Soham, and the couple went on to bear seven or eight children before Elizabeth's death in approximately 1858-1861.
Simpson and his family moved to Little Wapses Farm in Twineham, West Sussex at the time of the 1851 census, working in agriculture - perhaps as tenant farmers. Next to them at Great Wapses Farm was the Male family, also from Cambridgeshire.
The family return to Fordham, Cambridgeshire in time for the birth of what was to be the last child in 1858, and they appear living at 'The Black Cottage' without the mother of the family, but joined by son James Simpson Bishop's wife and 6mth old daughter.
Widower Simpson remarries to Elizabeth Ellinor of Burwell in 1861 at Newmarket, Suffolk, but there is no sign of any children.
Simpson then moves the family away again, taking four of his children (Keziah, Joseph, Eliza, Harry) to Higher Booths, Lancashire, England. Here, he marries for a third time, to Sarah Washington, but she is missing on the 1871 census (he is still noted as 'Mar' (married). He is noted here as a 'Farm Lab', whilst his children are all working within the cotton weaving industry.
It is then unclear what becomes of Simpson, as he seems to be absent, or hidden, in the 1881 census.
circa 1818, Soham, Cambridgeshire, England.
3rd January 1819, St. Andrew's Church, Soham, Cambridgeshire, England.
- Elizabeth Taylor (1819-18??) on 30th December 1840 at St. Andrew's Church, Soham, Cambridgeshire, England.
- Elizabeth Ellinor (c1825-18??) on 19th June 1861 at Newmarket Register Office, Newmarket, Suffolk, England.
- Sarah Washington (18??-?) during 1868 in the Haslingden District of Lancashire, England.
- James Simpson Bishop (1842-1901) married Ann Bowers (1843-1889)
- Harriet Louisa Bishop (1844-?)
- William Bishop (1847-?) married Sarah Swann (1846-?)
- Ann Elizabeth Bishop (1850-?) married George Eve (1848-?)
- Kezia Bishop (1851-1874)
- Joseph Bishop (1853-?)
- Eliza Bishop (1856-?)
- Harry Bishop (1858-?)
- 1841: 21yrs, Market Place, Soham, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1851: 32yrs, Little Wapses, Twineham, West Sussex, England.
- 1861: 39yrs, The Black Cottage, Fordham, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1871: 48yrs, Reedsholme, Higher Booths, Lancashire, England.
- 1841: Labourer, Soham, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1842: Malster, Soham, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1851: Agricultural Labourer, Little Wapses, Twineham, West Sussex, England.
- 1861: Shepherd, Fordham, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1868: Under Gardener, Haslingden District, Lancashire, England.
- 1871: Farm Lab, Higher Booths, Lancashire, England.
After the 1871 census.
Not yet known.